torstai 14. heinäkuuta 2016

The importance of art

I was just remembering the effect one song had on me when I was a teenager and I recall the situation very precisely:

I was going to shower and I had my music playing on the computer that I had downloaded and hadn't listened to yet. The player was on shuffle and then I hear this one piece of music coming from the other room and I was really confused because I had never heard it before but still it was like it had been my favourite song forever and I had heard it many times. It was like that piece of music just needed to exist and without it there would be something lacking in the whole existence and from my being.

I know all of this sounds silly but at the time that was how I felt and I remember what a powerful effect some music has had on me, like a best friend who truly understands me better than anyone ever could anywhere on a level that's totally beyond explanation, like there could never be anything quite as intimate. It felt sometimes like it could express something that I could have never expressed myself.

At best art can be the biggest difference maker in the universe. It can talk to us in ways that bypasses all mind and personality constructs and touches right where nothing else can. Even if someone is deeply traumatised and closed, art can reach in and melt everything away for a time. It can literally change the course of our lives.

I remember how much I had support from music when I was growing up and having difficult time. I used to listen mostly heavy music and there was just something that gave me a break of everything so I could enjoy the space within where nothing has ever been touched, where there is no burdens or chains.

I'm going to end this time with a statement that I believe strongly to be true:

Humankind would have destroyed themselves and the planet long ago without the existence of art.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti